Saturday, October 24, 2009

The best dollar-fifty I ever spent: A pint of tomatillos

Imagine the taste of a raw green pepper mixed with a strawberry. That's how a raw tomatillo tastes.

I removed the skins of these three (save the skins for your soup stock), cut them in quarters and threw them into the skillet for the last two minutes to heat with my curried blue and white potatoes. Start by cooking the potatoes thoroughly with olive oil, onion, and salt. At the end, add the curry powder (don't be shy about it), and I added a little rosemary as well.

Then add the tomatillos. They taste so good raw, it nearly breaks your heart to cook them, so only add them at the end, give them a little heat and toss them around to coat them with the other flavors, but they've got plenty of flavor inside, so don't lose that.

We're going to have these with a breakfast sandwich. Most of the time, we don't have things like soy sausage (or any fake "meats") or tofu in the house. We do eat tofu hoagies from Fu-Wah probably at least once a week, but as a general rule, the kitchen is stocked with vegetables, grains, beans, and fruit, not manufactured nonsense. However. I've been craving these soy sausage on English muffin sandwiches like crazy lately.

We bought fennel seeds at the market today, so I embedded some of those into the Gimme Lean soy sausage patty. I also cooked some thin, thin slivers of portabella mushroom. This is all cooked in the olive oil with the leftover tastes from the curry potatoes and tomatillos.

We're going to slice a tomato to top this with and put it on a toasted white-wheat English muffin. As these are cooking, you've got the potatoes setting aside. When you take the soy sausage and mushrooms off the heat, throw the potatoes back on for a minute or two to reheat while you put the sandwich together.


I have to be someplace tomorrow at 9 am and I have to be there all day. So I'm going to bring some raw tomatillos for snacks (remember, they're high in Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, so they're nice and filling), along with some raw carrots, maroon, orange, and white.

Right now, I've got a butternut squash and three apples baking in the oven with olive oil, cinnamon, and brown sugar. They're not for tonight. I'm going to make fried apples pies in the morning to take with me, and wrap the squash (stuffed with apple) in foil and bring that as well. I'm moving up in the world, I now have big, re-usable aluminum pans to bake in, rather than folded aluminum foil. One day, I'll own a casserole dish. I will.

3 comments:

  1. Still following the great recipies. I've never tried tomatillos, but will get some next shopping trip, and using them with the curried potatoes.

    I was wondering, though, if you're using teflon pans. I trashed all of mine in favor of glass and cast iron, all of which I've picked up cheap at thrift stores and rummage sales. I've been getting better at seasoning the cast iron, and have found it fantastic at non-stick quality. The cast iron dutch oven is easily the best piece of cookware I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, yes, not only am I using a teflon pan, it's a really old teflon pan. It needs to go. For a while, a few months ago, I was seriously scouring the local thrift stores for cast iron, but I've gotten out of the habit. That is definitely something I need to get. We don't have a lot of dishes, despite all the cooking we do, since it's just the two of us. We just have the one frying pan, a small cooking pot and a large cooking pot. The large cooking pot is fine, but the smaller one and the frying pan both need replaced.

    As for tomatillos, I'm wondering if I'm really going to cook them again... I have a container of raw ones sitting beside me right now and have been snacking on them. They are SO GOOD raw! I think they will be excellent in a stir-fry, though, with peppers, corn, mushrooms... Mmm, I gotta try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep looking, and remember to recycle the aluminum in those teflon pans.

    There's a lot of talk about the need to use certain fats to season, like lard or bacon fat, but the most scientific article I read on seasoning cast iron said that it does not matter at all what oil you use - all organic content is burned away and only the carbon is left. I use organic canola oil and it's just fine. Just start with a good pan.

    ReplyDelete