Monday, February 8, 2010

Cheating on Clark Park with Weaver's Way Co-Op

I was off work today, because my new job gets canceled if the buses can't run, so we decided to take the train out to Mt. Airy and check out Weaver's Way Co-Op. The thought of a week without green food was pretty sad, and it would take almost as long and be more annoying to go into Center City to Trader Joe's or something. Anyway, we had been wanting to check out Weaver's Way for a while now.

Worth it. Worth it. Oh, damn. Worth it. Better selection than the park, and we got more stuff than usual for the same price as usual.


Weaver's Way Shopping List

4 leeks
a lb. of salad greens
about a quart and a half of brussels sprouts!
about a quart of green beans!
3 bunches of broccoli
a 6 oz. thing of bean, lentil, and pea sprouts (aka pure energy)
a 4 oz. thing of dill and alfalfa sprouts
a yellow bell pepper
an orange bell pepper
about 2 quarts of white mushrooms
5 tomatoes
almost forgot, a 6-pack of frozen spring rolls

Total: $35

It looks like a short list, but those brussels sprouts will last forever, especially considering that we have other green things at the same time. In the summer, we had okra and green beans, then they went away and we had brussels sprouts, then they went away, and the broccoli is iffy, and we're left with basically kale for green food. To see this diversity of green foods made my heart pound. We were so excited we forgot to get asparagus. Which they also had.

So, the green beans will last a while, the brussels sprouts will, the broccoli will, the leeks will make four soups, the mushrooms will last well into next week, even the salad greens should last us a while. These bean sprouts aren't going to last long if I don't go make something to eat and stop munching on them. Oh, they're good, though.

And I can put alfalfa sprouts on my sandwiches! I am so excited. I'm hungry, but I don't even know what to make, because we have so much food. I also happen to have sauerkraut, so I can have my favorite - brussels sprouts and sauerkraut if I want. I want a sandwich right now, though. With greens and sprouts and mushrooms. And I'm going to saute some green beans with oil and salt to have on the side. Oh. Yes.

While we were there, we had soup for lunch. Two of the three soups available were vegan. I had tomato rice, and Mark had vegetable soup. With two feet of snow on the ground, we had lunch outside. The weather was just that gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment