Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pancakes with Apple Syrup

buckwheat pancake mix
2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed
soymilk (or rice milke, etc.)
a small amount of water
cooking oil
apple syrup

I don't know if this is a bona fide recipe, as one of the ingredients is pancake mix. But here's what I had for a delicious Sunday afternoon breakfast.

Put your skillet over medium to high heat, add a little olive oil, spread it around, and let the skillet get hot. My new cast iron skillet is perfect for this.

I started with Arrowhead Mills Buckwheat Pancake Mix. Maybe a cup of that (I didn't measure, just eyeballed it).

Added enough soy milk to mix it up but kept it thick and goopy because I still had another wet ingredient to add.


In a separate, small dish, put about 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed (a good source of fat and protein) and add cold water. Let this sit for a couple of minutes. The flaxseed will absorb the water and take on a slightly gooey consistency, similar to a raw egg. That's going to serve the function that people sometimes use chicken eggs for in recipes.

Add this mixture to the mix, and you're ready to fry your pancakes.

I always butcher the first one, even if I've let my skillet get hot. Be sure the cooking surface is hot and ready to sizzle before you pour the batter. When the pancakes start to bubble on top, slide your spatula under to make sure it's not sticking. Be gentle. When you're confident it's not stuck to the skillet, flip it over.

My first two were messy but the second two were beautiful.


Enjoy with your favorite syrup. I used my apple syrup, made right here in PA and bought at the Clark Park Farmers' Market.

1 comment:

  1. Now I'm hungry for pancakes. I think I'd better wait until morning for this one.

    ReplyDelete