Saturday, January 2, 2010

Return to Saturday

Finally! After a long, lonely three weeks, the Clark Park Farmers' Market is back.

Can I just say that I love January? I love January. It's like having a new thing. I know that nothing actually happened at midnight on December 31st, but it makes a difference to me. I like writing the "1." I like writing "2010." I like saying the word January. Everything seems shiny and exciting.

It is freezing cold today in Philadelphia. The RealFeel forecast said 9 degrees. High winds made walking home almost painful. It's the kind of cold you can feel in your eyes and teeth. My new boots kept my feet cozy and I was dressed warmly, but that cold could not be ignored. I didn't mind at all. It was refreshing, invigorating, and just thoroughly January.

Let's have a round of applause for the people who worked the farmers' market today. I could barely take the 20 minutes or so we were outside, they were out there all day. It was sparse, maybe five tables (and one of those all eggs and cheese, and another seemed to be only apple products), but it was enough for us.

Saturday Shopping List

at the farmers' market:

2 leeks
1 head of cauliflower
5 florets of broccoli
2 kohlrabi bulbs
1 pint white mushrooms
1 portobello mushroom cap
approximately a metric ton of curly kale
lots of purple carrots
about 2 pints of yukon gold potoatoes
5 yellow onions
a 23-oz. jar of applesauce
a jar of pickles
4 bulbs of garlic

at Milk & Honey:

a very large loaf of cracked-wheat bread
2 sesame seed bagels

at Fu-Wah Mini-Market:

a thing of vegan cream cheese

total: about $60

Kohlrabi bulbs (nutrition data for kohlrabi)

This will be my first experience with Kohlrabi, also known as German Turnips, and according to Wikipedia, popular in Kashmir. According to NutritionData.com, the protein content of these beauties looks pretty good. They are said to be sweet and crisp, able to be eaten raw or used for cooking.

I can't wait to make potato-leek soup, which will include carrots, cauliflower, onions, kale, broccoli, mushrooms and - why not - kohlrabi. I like to make my vegetable soups as hearty and nutritious as possible, so they fill me up. I'm a lazy eater, so I pack in the kale, broccoli, and cauliflower to load up on protein and calcium, and the mushrooms to help fill me up. Subtle variations in the types of vegetables and quantities of each one will give you a different soup each time and help keep things interesting.

Kohlrabi on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment