Saturday, June 12, 2010

Saturday Market: Fruit and Green Peas!



It would be a shame to cook these peas. I have been eating them raw, by the handful, all day. Peas, by the way, are another great answer to every vegan's favorite question, "Where do you get your protein?". Peas are a legume and, as such, a great source of protein.



Saturday Shopping List

1 quart green peas
1 quart cherries
1 quart strawberries
1 very large head of romaine lettuce
1 head of buttercrunch lettuce
4 sweet potatoes
1 bunch of asparagus
1 quart crimini mushrooms
6 large carrots
6 tomatoes
4 summer squash
2 zucchini
1 loaf multi-grain bread
2 bagels

Total: $39 and change

The cherries are delicious. This was the first week there were cherries. I got a quart of strawberries at one table and put them in a small paper bag, then a quart of cherries at the next table and put them into the same bag. So I have a paper bag full of refreshing, sweet, tart, fruity goodness in the refrigerator. I can't keep my hands out of it. Today has been busy with homework, and I've lived on snacks of raw green peas, strawberries, and cherries.

This is also the first week there was Patty Pan Squash, but I didn't get any, because I had already gotten summer squash and zucchini, and we still had some squash at home, and I didn't want to let it go to waste. It's good to know the Patty Pan is back, though. I'm having flashbacks to last summer, as we head into our second full summer of living off the farmers' market. We're moving at the end of the month, and it's good to know we'll only be a few blocks away and actually a little bit closer to the market. The walk will change slightly, but will be about the same length.

No comments:

Post a Comment