Sunday, November 15, 2009

Indian Lentil Soup

I'm calling this Jen's Indian Lentil Soup, on account of I got the recipe in the first place from my friend Jen.

I'll be making this soup again today. It was delicious and warming, but somehow it made the weather cold. Warm weather was in the forecast, then I made this soup, which is perfect for cold weather, and then the weather turned cold. So I shouldn't make it again today, because the weather is beautiful and heading up to 70 degrees, but I'm not superstitious and I want my Indian Lentil Soup.

The original recipe I got from
Jen was for a big batch of soup, with one lb of lentils, two sweet potatoes, 8 cups of water, etc. I tried to cut the recipe in half, and I don't have measuring cups, so the recipe depicted here is for sort of half the original recipe and it's not exactly in proportion.

First, cut up sweet potatoes. I used two, one giant and one normal-sized. What you see here isn't all the sweet potatoes I used, the rest were already in the roasting pan. This is just to show you the size chunks I cut them into. Put them in a pan and pop them into the oven at 350 degrees. You're going to let them roast until you get everything else ready, which should be when they're done. I think I ended up leaving them in the oven for about 30-40 minutes. You want them to get very soft, like the filling for a sweet potato pie. It doesn't take long if they're cut like you see above.

The next thing you want to do is put on the water (I used about 6 cup-like-measures, which is not really half of 8 cups, but it seemed like the right amount.) Add red lentils. I used half a pound. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer.

Cut up 2 or 3 carrots (I used, again, one giant one and one medium one - I used maroon carrots). Cut up a medium sweet onion. And a red bell pepper. I used 3 small red peppers. Whatever you use, just be sure the peppers are red, so the soup's color will turn out nice (Thanks for that tip, Jen!). Sautee all these ingredients in olive oil on the stove, adding 1-3 cloves of crushed garlic (I used three, of course). Don't forget salt.

When the lentils are soft and the vegetables in the skillet are soft (but not too soft), add the skillet contents to the lentils. Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven, if they're done, which they should be. Add the sweet potatoes to the soup. Add curry powder and ginger. I have the ginger in powder form, too, but if you have fresh, I imagine that would be great. I don't know how to give you guidance on how much to use. I recommend adding them slowly and letting your taste guide you.


Remove from heat and allow to cool, if you're going to use a regular blender to blend it. If you're awesome and you have an immersion or "stick" blender, just use that. I let mine cool, blended in the blender, a few ladles full at a time, and then transferred it back to the pot to warm it back up before serving.





On a whim, I added a little cinnamon to mine while blending. It seemed to work. Don't tell anyone you put cinnamon in it (oops). They would think that made it a sweet dish. I assure you it doesn't. But they'll ask, "What's in this?" and you can tell them cinnamon if you want, and they'll be amazed. Or you can keep that as your secret.

When you dish up the soup, add a spritz of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. I didn't have either of these, and that first serving was lacking. I couldn't place what was wrong with it, it just wasn't perfect. Then I got the apple cider vinegar and added a capful to my next bowl. That made it perfect. So don't skimp on this last step.

This is great with toast or bread. I can't wait to have it with the rustic white bread we just started getting at the Thursday farmers' markets. It's also great to bring in a thermos for lunch.

Enjoy!

Homemade Curry Powder on Foodista

2 comments:

  1. I'm definately making this soup. Going to make it for the kid when she comes up and going to make it for my friend, C, because she loves soup.

    ReplyDelete