Saturday, November 7, 2009

Where do Brussels sprouts come from?

I thought they came in little green pint cartons, but no. They come on stalks.

I never even wondered how they actually grow before. This is the best idea Brussels sprouts have ever had.

I can't believe how much stuff we got today.

I got the ingredients for an Indian Lentil Soup my friend Jen gave me the recipe for, and I'm making that tomorrow. It has red lentils, red peppers, sweet potatoes and curry. Would have been great for this very cold week. The coming week should be warmer, so we'll consider this a trial run.

I should have missed the farmers' market today, because I should have been on North Broad Street learning about Discrete Math and Matrix Algebra in my final day-long Math Immersion class. The Praxis exams are next Saturday, and we have our final review session Tuesday night.

But SEPTA drivers are still on strike (pesky union wants the ability to check and see whether the workers' pensions actually exist - imagine that), and even though AccuWeather said it was 40 degrees, as AccuWeather says every morning at 8 o'clock, my face hurt from the cold by the time I got back from the ATM this morning, and that's only a block and a half away. It was in the low-ish 30s, I would say, and windy. There was no way I was riding my bike in that. (I think someone from AccuWeather comes by my living room and paints a "40 degrees" and a sunshine on my computer screen every morning just before 8 o'clock, regardless of the weather.)

So I went to the farmers' market, and I learned that Brussels sprouts grow on stalks. Several tables actually had Brussels sprouts, which is great news, because they've become a staple for me recently. I love to saute them with sauerkraut, as a side for lettuce, tomato, and onion sandwiches. But only one table had them on stalks. So we went for that.

Saturday shopping list

1 stalk of Brussels sprouts
1 lb of red beans
1 lb of red lentils
5 or 6 sweet potatoes
4 red peppers
maroon carrots
1 head of green leaf lettuce
1 head of purple cauliflower
1 head of Romanesque broccoli (Romanesco broccoli, Roman cauliflower)
1 head of Nappa cabbage
a bunch of fresh fennel
6 tomatoes
several small yellow onions
1 Portabella cap
a jar of strawberry jelly
2 apples
1 ounce coriander
1 ounce southern spice mix
1 loaf multi-grain bread
1 loaf sourdough bread
3 chocolate-banana muffins

total: $56.76

No repeat of the bizarrely low bill from last week. I really have to let Mark go to the market alone more often, apparently.

In line at one of the tables today, I was writing down prices and items, and one of the vendors asked about the notebook. I mentioned I write a blog about food, and both the vendor and some other customers asked for the name of the blog. If you're reading, hello, and welcome.

We're going to use the Nappa cabbage in soup. A vendor tells us the fennel is good in stir-fry. The Romanesque broccoli is great in stir-fry with Brussels sprouts.

I think the theme this week is red. Red lentils, red peppers, sweet potatoes, purple cauliflower, maroon carrots, red beans, and I'm making a red soup.

And green, because I learned about the Brussels sprouts. Red and green. Merry Christmas.

Oh, that reminds me, I did go to my class, for the last two hours, when I worked up the nerve to ride my bike all the way from West Philly to North Broad in the wind, which was still cold even though the temperature allegedly warmed up into the upper 50s. My instincts said don't go, but I went because I wanted the textbook that was supposed to be delivered in class today, which I would love to read before my exams next Saturday. Found out in class that it was just a cruel joke - the textbooks will be delivered at our final session Tuesday night.

So. Happy effing Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment